There is an actual cookbook companion to Game of Thrones called A Feast of Fire and Ice that would be a great place to get ideas for your party food. It includes recipes for pork pies enjoyed by the Night’s Watch; Tyroshi honeyfingers, a favorite of Daenerys Targareon; and Quails drowned in butter, which is something the Lannisters would feast on in King’s Landing.
For fun, finger-food appetizers before the big meal, you can put out fresh bread, cheese, sliced meats, figs tarts, grapes and pears on a “Dinner Is Coming” cutting board. Or go Mediterranean with hummus, pita bread, olives and dates.
You could also do bread bowls, dragon dumplings, beef and bacon pies — and yes, honey-spiced locusts. That last one might just be for decoration because we’re pretty sure no one will eat them. See all kinds of ideas here!
Here’s the recipe for Sansa’s sweet lemon cakes, courtesy of GeekyChef.com:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbs. lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cup sugar
2 lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Boil lemon slices for about 15 minutes in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar.
3) Grease a muffin tin with butter, vegetable oil or non-stick spray.
4) In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5) In another bowl, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
6) Beat in eggs, then beat in 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and lemon zest.
7) Beat in flour mixture and then buttermilk.
8) Place 1 lemon slice in the bottom of each muffin cup.
9) Divide batter between cups, pouring over the lemon slices.
10) Bake until cakes are firm and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
11) Mix together remaining lemon juice and sugar. Poke holes into the cakes, then slowly pour lemon and sugar mixture over the cakes so the juice gets absorbed into the cakes, let set for about 5-10 minutes.
12) Remove cakes from muffin cups and serve lemon slice side up!